Phone: 214-691-3535  •  After Hours Nurse: 855-456-6976  •  8325 Walnut Hill Lane, Suite #225, Dallas,TX 75231


If you are concerned about poison exposure, the best thing to do is call the Poison Control Center immediately. Do not wait for your child to act or look sick. The Center is opened 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. It is staffed by nationally certified nurses, pharmacists, toxicologists, and other specialist in poisons and toxins.


The Poison Help Hotline number is 1-800-222-1222.


What is a poisoning?

A poison exposure occurs when a person swallows, breathes, touches, or gets splashed in the eye with something that can cause sickness or death. Poisoning is a matter of dose—too much of anything can be dangerous. Most consumer products are safe if label directions are followed, but some can be poisonous if used incorrectly.


Common poisonings in children:

  • Cosmetics such as perfume or nail polish
  • Mouthwash
  • Deodorant and soap
  • Cleaning products such as laundry detergent, oven cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, furniture polish
  • Medications
  • Indoor and outdoor plants
  • Pesticides
  • Windshield wiper fluid
  • Liquid nicotine
  • Batteries for toys, remote controls, and key fobs


Helpful tips:

  • Keep all medicines, vitamins, cleaning fluids, and other chemicals locked away. Do not store in a purse where children can find them.
  • After using any cleaning fluid or products, make sure the container is closed tightly and returned to a locked cabinet. The safest place to store poisonous products is where your child can’t see or reach it.
  • Don’t rely on safety latches on the cabinet. They could malfunction leaving your child at risk.
  • When using cleaning products, never leave them where a child could find it.
  • Buy medicines in containers with safety caps.
  • Do not store poisons in any drink bottles, glasses, or jars.
  • Program the poison control hotline number in all phones
  • If you use an e-cigarette, treat refills as you would any other poisonous liquid. A small amount of liquid nicotine can be fatal to a child.


Different types of poisoning require different treatment. If you’re concerned, call poison control immediately.